What's this about?

A collage of everyday thoughts and trying to make sense of a sometimes nonsense world.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Erie Insurance

My first rant will be about Erie Insurance Company. It is not my intent to slander or make Erie Insurance look bad, however I believe we should all be more informed consumers. I will be the first to admit, I know or understand little about car insurance. I just know I need it to drive my car legally.

Erie Insurance is a company based in Erie, PA. They do not service all 50 states but they do serve my state which is Ohio. I discovered them through an insurance agency online about 8 years ago and have been with them ever since.

I will not post the exact letter they sent me, however the letter dated 6/23/10 begins "Dear Policyholder". Now this is one thing I take issue with, the generic greeting, "Dear Policyholder". I have been with your company 8 years and this is what you come up with? The rather short and impersonal note goes on to say that they have decided not to renew my policy because I had too many incidents with their company. Now isn't this why we pay for insurance, so we are covered in case accidents happen? Why would they decide to drop a long term customer and not just raise the rate? Their rather brief and final notice explained little about their decision.

The accidents that I actually claimed on were the following:

01/20/2007 My vehicle was hit in a parking lot by someone else (not my fault, I wasn't even in the car)

02/08/2008 I hit a pole in a parking lot (yes this was my fault)

There was 3rd incident in December 2008 but I dropped that claim because the damage was minor. They never paid anything out on this and there was never a police report filed.

I admit I am not the best driver, nor always the most careful, however I was puzzled by their decision and wrote them a letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment