What's this about?

A collage of everyday thoughts and trying to make sense of a sometimes nonsense world.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Not a supermodel

Beginnings are always the hardest because the beginning has to be the best in order to hold the reader's attention. Maybe this story won't be that fascinating or unique but I count it as an odd happening in my life. We all have those odd moments, where we say to ourselves, "Did that really just happen?" or "What was that?" or "I don't get it." The latter one is totally me, most of the time. There are things I just don't get it and what I find odd, someone takes a whole different view on it.

Several years ago, when I was younger and more attractive looking, I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work. It was a chilly, spring evening and I wore my camel colored winter coat. As I entered the store, I grabbed a carry basket rather than a grocery cart because I hate pushing grocery carts. I find it annoying to be maneuvering a cranky object around aisles and other people. I noticed a man in his 40's with dark rimmed glasses, black hair, rather ordinary looking picking out flowers.

I am not one of these people that meanders around grocery stores for long periods of time. I grabbed the usual carrots,broccoli and chicken and entered the express check out line. I noticed the same gentleman I saw as I had entered the store, in another line. I paid for my purchases and left the store. As I was putting my bags in the trunk of my car, the dark haired man was waiting in his black Saab and drove over by my car. I thought, "should I run away?" but I stayed by the trunk of my car to see what he would do. He got out of his vehicle and proceeded to give me the flowers. I was bewildered but took them, then I asked him, "Why are you giving these to me?". He responded and shrugged, "It was a promise I made to someone long ago." I was still puzzled but managed to say, "Thank you." He drove away and I never saw him again.

I can't recall if I kept the flowers or not but the whole incident baffled me. The next day at work, I told a few co-workers what happened. One colleague, who I will call T. for privacy, said, "That is something that only happens to supermodels." Ok, I know I am not a supermodel nor have I ever professed to anyone that I think I am stunning because I know I am not. I guess to some people this story may come across as bragging but that was never my intent. I just thought the whole thing was strange and I still wonder what this guy meant by, "It was a promise I made to someone long ago." It makes me sad to think there's this lonely guy fulfilling some long ago promise. Maybe he lost someone or he feels like he has to make up for his misdeeds. I really don't know but I do hope he has found happiness or whatever he was looking to achieve.

Supermodels aren't the only ones that deserve flowers and this guy wasn't looking for a supermodel. It was just a chance that two ordinary people crossed paths at the same time. That's all it was. This guy had his reasons for giving me flowers, whatever they may be and they are his own. and yes T. I know I am no supermodel. I promise this incident didn't go to my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment