What's this about?

A collage of everyday thoughts and trying to make sense of a sometimes nonsense world.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Academy Awards Thoughts

Yes, I am a little late on the Academy Awards feedback, so what I am about to say is not totally original. There were no surprises, although I was hoping there would be some shockers. First, how obnoxious is Melissa Leo? and that was one hideous dress. Ok, now I got that out of the way. I tuned in and out of the awards throughout the night, so I wasn't glued to the couch, so there were speeches and awards I missed.

As far as the hosts, well, everyone always says how horrible the hosts are but in their defense, how much can you entertain people over a 3 hour period? I can't imagine doing a speech for ten minutes, let alone trying to please such a vast audience. Maybe the Academy should recognize itself for what it is, which is an ego fest and quit trying so hard. The skits and such just come across as desperate and juvenile. If you really want to shake it up, then why not have all the actor nominees come dressed in character? After all, they are nominated for the characters they played on film, so why not come dressed in character? I wonder if anyone has ever done that? I am mostly kidding(well maybe).

Anne Hathaway reminds of a better version of Julia Roberts. They don't look exactly alike but they do remind me of one another. I want to like Anne but I have a hard time with her for various reasons, much like Julia (I don't find Anne nearly as obnoxious as Julia though). James Franco, maybe you need to slow down and realize you can't do everything. What happened to that charming stoner in Pineapple Express that I adored? I don't think Anne or James were completely at fault for the snoozefest because honestly, the Academy just needs to shorten the program.

The most sincere recipients (that I saw) were Aaron Sorkin (screenwriter for The Social Network) and David Seidler (screenwriter for The King's Speech). I especially loved what David Seidler said about being a late bloomer. It is the behind the scenes people that make these films work and to see them so happy is really nice. The actors, directors and producers get the most praise (and prestige) but without the writers and everyone else, the films wouldn't get made. I missed Luke Matheny's speech (he was winner of Best Short Film Action), so I need to see if I can find it somewhere. I heard his speech was very nice. I was also glad to see Inception won for Cinematography, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, & Visual Effects.

As far as what the ladies wore, no one stood out for me. I did like Natalie Portman's dress because I do love purple and I thought it was a bit different. She is a beautiful girl but somewhat annoying. I thought Anne Hathaway's dresses (that cream one was divine) onstage were much better than what she wore on the red carpet. Halle looked lovely as always (does she ever look bad?) and I can't believe Penelope Cruz just had a baby (really good genes and a lot of discipline). No one looked awful though, except Melissa Leo's dress and Sharon Stone didn't look great either. Not a terribly exciting fashion fest though.

Lastly, I must mention the presenters. How much do I love Robert Downey Jr.? He is charming, funny and adorable. I can't wait for Sherlock Holmes 2. I also thought Russell Brand & Helen Mirren were cute. Helen is so elegant, if I could only be as sophisticated as she is. Kirk Douglas just made me sad and I would rather just leave it at that. It will be interesting if the Academy decides to make any changes next year or if they will keep trying the same old stodgy format. I am so glad I don't have to be in the audience to sit through it because I would be quite tanked by the end of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment