What's this about?

A collage of everyday thoughts and trying to make sense of a sometimes nonsense world.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Taxes-In Government We Trust

People say taxes are a necessary evil but are they really? Our government seems to take more and more from good citizens but what are the limits? It doesn't seem like the government wants to live within their means or even budget our dollars, which we so freely give them; however if a citizen doesn't live within his/her means and our payments are late, we get fined of course. Big government what are you teaching our society, if anything? Is living in excess really living?

Like any good citizen, I filed my taxes this year. On my W-4 forms, I have 0, which means the government is supposed to take out more money but every year, I owe our state government (and local city, but I will get to that in a minute). Usually, I get a little back from Federal to pay the state but that didn't happen this year, instead I owe the federal government $3.00, yes you read that right. I laughed and then I thought about this, what am I doing wrong on my taxes? Probably nothing, truthfully, I am penalized because I am single, no kids, not a homeowner & I work two jobs. Even though both of my jobs individually take enough taxes out, when both amounts are added together, the government sees massive dollar signs and decides I owe them money. Does this even make sense? Why should my total income, even though it was earned separately put me in a higher tax bracket? Isn't there a better way to figure out this outdated, broken tax system? No, of course not, I love giving away almost 30% of my income to a government that cannot even manage their own finances! Money should say, "In Government We Trust" because that is who we as a society put our trust into but how much trust should we put into them?

My state government has decided I owe them around $250.00, oh really, last I checked I worked, lived, and spent money here. I already paid you taxes but I owe you more? So, what do you want next from me, blood or perhaps a kidney? The only thing we don't pay taxes on is food (unless it is take out food from a restaurant)? So how much of my money am I really giving? Should I keep all my receipts to prove to you that I do pay more taxes on material goods and other such items? Oh, if I purchase anything from out of state, my state wants me to pay them a USE tax, even though I bought the item from another state, I have to pay my state tax on it (even if I already paid tax on it from another state). Really? The item was not made or distributed here, how is that even legal?

Then there is the local income tax, which is probably the most troublesome of all. I work in one city but live in another. Both of my employers take out taxes for the city I work in but they don't take out taxes where I live. As I said previously, I am not a homeowner but the city where I live, insists that anyone living within their limits must pay taxes. Now I pay my landlord rent and he pays the city taxes out of that rent, shouldn't that be sufficient? No, of course not! Guess how much credit I get for paying taxes for my working city? 1%!!! Yes, so generous of them. My city also insists that 90% of 2010 taxes be paid by January 31, 2011. Most people barely even have their W-2 forms by then, so an estimate of taxes can only be paid. If one doesn't pay by the end of January, then a $25.00 late fee is imposed. I am not sure how this city gets away with this because I don't understand how it is even legal to expect citizens to pay for taxes that haven't been filed yet & the city's website even says we have in until April 2011 to file taxes, so how can they charge a late fee on taxes that haven't been filed? And why are renters paying taxes that landlords already pay? Allegedly, we are paying for police, fire, & other public services (my total per month if my employers were to take it out, in the city I live comes to about $40.00 a month). Truthfully, I pay almost as much in local taxes if not more, than I do for state taxes. It is truly baffling to me.

So, all these tax issues have made me think about where is my money really going & do I want to give it away so freely? I know I am always going to have to pay taxes in some form but there are things I can do to cut down on my tax paying. One, stop spending so much money. That's easier said than done but think how much you pay on taxes on items you buy. Two, move out of the city (and possibly the county), I live in. We probably one of the highest, if not the highest taxed counties in our state(not much confidence in this county because there has been massive political corruption here). Three, possibly move to another state, where there is no state income tax. These are doable actions but the biggest move has to come from me and I have to make a decision on where my money is going to do the most good and that is in my bank account. Big government, take note, I will keep as much as my money to myself. I will not cheat or lie on my tax forms but I would like for you to take some things under consideration as well. One, our tax system needs to be revamped and two, learn to budget, we must all live within our means and you are not exempt from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment