What's this about?

A collage of everyday thoughts and trying to make sense of a sometimes nonsense world.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Continuance and Spinsterhood

This post is a continuance of my prior one on Agnes Grey, not so much on the book itself but on marriage. I am a 36 year old single woman, never married with no serious prospects(that's funny to say), no children, just myself to depend on and back in the day I would have been a spinster (and by some folks I probably still am). Does it bother me that I am not married? That's an interesting question because in my 20's I wanted to be married but it never happened for whatever reason, so now that I have been on my own for so long, do I feel that I should get married(at some point)?

Fortunately, in most (but not all) societies women do have a choice whether to get married or not. In my situation, I do not feel like I should get married; however I think it is something I would like perhaps one day (and no I would never have a traditional wedding). As much as I proclaim my independence, I don't like to be alone all the time, just sometimes (I think it's perfectly healthy for couples to have separate time away from one another)and I think most humans do crave companionship in some capacity, whether it is genetics or just our society, I think everyone wants to belong with someone.

When I was in my 20's, I was just starting to figure out life and had no clue what I wanted. In some ways, I am still clueless but I do know what I don't want and that is just to get married just because I am older and I should. I don't want to fall into that trapped way of thinking. People have told me I am not the marrying kind or that I am too set in my ways and I can't disagree with these statements but what people think may not come true either. Some people even assumed I'm gay, which is not true either, I like men way too much. I am sure people make other assumptions about unmarried women and men in their 30's but fortunately in our society it has become much more common for people to stay unmarried longer. From the time I was a child, it was expected that one would get married and have children, but times change and our society evolves. Don't get married because you feel like you should, get married for the right reasons, whatever they may be. If it's something you truly want, then go for it but if it's an option, then what's the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment