What's this about?

A collage of everyday thoughts and trying to make sense of a sometimes nonsense world.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Not Interested

How hard is it to say "not interested"? Is it really that difficult?

I must admit I am as guilty as the next person. You know what I am talking about, a friend mentions this restaurant he/she wants to check out and you say, "great, let's go", even if you don't mean it. Or perhaps, you have been on a date, minimal chemistry and at the end, he says the old, "I will call you", instead of "not interested" and you never hear from him again. "I will call you" is so much politer than saying "not interested". Why as a society must we pretend this politeness (although I don't really think it's polite)? We pretend that all is right in the world when it's not. "Not interested"?, we would never say such a thing!

Not interested, two words that seem so simple but so complex at the same time. A while ago, I had forged a new friendship with someone and things were fine(well maybe we had different opinions, but who doesn't?), then my friend decided to ignore my texts and subsequent email, so ignoring me is so much better than saying "not interested"? If I ever run into this person again, do I just pretend and be polite? No, I don't think so, the cold shoulder is so much better. Ignore the situation and it goes away, right?

Oh, I am not saying I am not guilty as everyone else because surely I am and perhaps I am writing this for my own sake, as a reminder that saying "not interested" is not really that difficult after all. Although, it may be blunt and less polite, is ignoring or pretending to want to follow through that much better? Try saying "not interested" next time you are in a situation you are "not interested" in and maybe you will start a new trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment